This blog is best viewed using Firefox

sweet, sweet cammie  

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When I was pregnant, we told our family by having Cameron say, "Mommy has a baby in her belly!" It was exciting for him and funny to see everyone's reaction. Unfortunately, I miscarried, but we never explained what that meant to Cameron. He's only 4 and I guess never fully realized what we were talking about. He never asked anything about the baby, but did continue to say occasionally, "I have a baby in my belly!" We just laugh, and sometimes I used to cry, but now we just think he's cute.

Cameron loves babies and is the most gentle, the most sweet, and the most adoring boy I have ever seen around them. Everyday I have to stop by the baby room at their school so that we can say hi. He comforts them if they are crying, plays with them and makes them laugh, and lightly touches their cheek or chin and looks at them lovingly.

The other night I was cuddling with Cammie in bed, and he said, "When I grow up, I'm going to have a baby in my belly." I explained that boys don't have babies in their bellies. He looked at me with a pained expression and repeated, "When I grow up, I'm going to have a baby in my belly."

"No, Cameron, boys can't have babies." And then his eyes squinched up and he looked like he was going to cry. "Cameron, you want to grow up and by like Daddy, right?"

"yes"

"Well, you can grow up and be a daddy like your daddy, but only mommies have babies. So one day, you can grow up and have a baby, but the mommy will have the baby in her belly. Just like Mommy had you in her belly."

That seemed to settle him...for the moment. Hard to believe I had that conversation with him, but anytime I lay down with him for a while before bed he comes up with some funny things to talk about. Sometimes we have science lessons, sometimes we just talk about the day, sometimes we talk about his friends at school and how they treat him. It's a very special, quiet time that he just opens up and talks about whatever is on his mind. I know it won't always be like this, but I am going to treasure it for as long as it lasts.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post


1 comments: to “ sweet, sweet cammie

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster