This blog is best viewed using Firefox

For the Love of Books  

Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's not just the smell of books that I love--I love everything about them. I love the look--I have always wanted a wall full of books surrounding a fireplace, cozy chair, and sleeping dog. I love the cozy, warm, comfort of curling up with a good book. I love the escape to lives and place unknown. I love the connections with characters and feelings. I love getting so lost in a book that I think about it all day long. I love/hate the obsession I have when reading a book--I have to read it constantly until it's finished, all the while knowing I'm going to be disappointed when it is done (only because I won't have it to read any longer). Luckily, my husband loves to read, and will even remind me when its been a while since I took some time for myself to actually sit and read. (Lately, I've been fulfilling my crave for reading through blogs.)

I have a really hard time when someone asks my favorite books. I feel like I am choosing between my children! I know that I have favorite parts of books. I will read something that is so well written that I will have to read it over again to savor the beauty of the sentence. (Don't ask me what those parts are right now, I'm coming off of a week of my entire family having rotavirus. And am slowly rebuilding brain cells.) Hard pressed, I will say a few of my favorites for different reasons/ages:

  • young child: The Monster at the End of This Book & Where the Sidewalk Ends--my mom would read these to me and I not only loved the stories, but the special time with her. (Great Shel Silverstein website)
  • elementary: Charlotte's Web--the first book that pulled at my heart strings. I think at that age (2nd grade) I really began to realize the world around me. Anything and everything Judy Blume--She somehow got into my head at every stage and age of books she wrote. She sometimes wrote about controversial (at least at my young age) topics and I loved that.
  • teenage/young adult: Mrs. Mike --Ahh, Mrs Mike. One of my all-time favorites. This is one that all the women (well, almost) have read and loved for many years. I was completely in love with the romance in this book. Nothing controversial really, some harsh lessons, but it really took hold of me. Little did I know then, I would grow up to marry my own rugged Canadian. I made it part of a book study in my classroom several years ago and as far as I could tell from young teens, they loved it, too. I re-read it as an adult, and while still good, it wasn't as enchanting as it was back then. I think it's best read when you are still full of hope and innocence of love. I know that sounds pessimistic, but what I mean is that I hadn't experienced any of the pains of love (nor the joys) so I had an open mind about love and life. The Outsiders--I read this when I was in 7th grade. It was so different from anything that I had read and went through it all with my classmates. I think that was another book that was read at the right time.
  • high school: I took an AP English class (begged to get in) and experienced some of the best literature of my life. Books that I would have never picked up on my own and would never have been exposed to in another class. The Great Gadsby and Ethan Frome stick out in my mind, not so much as for enjoyment--possibly, but again because they took me to places so unique from anything I had ever read or experienced. One that I tend to mention as a favorite is The Scarlet Letter. This book gave me a run for my money. I had a very difficult time getting through the first few chapters. I struggled and really wanted to give up on it. Thankfully, I didn't. I stuck with it and loved it. I don't know if it was because I felt like I conquered the book or really just enjoyed it, but either way I keep a tattered and torn copy on my bookshelf.
  • adulthood: this is where I get stuck. I've read many books that I enjoy. Many that, at the time, they are a favorite. But, then I pick up another one and it becomes my favorite. At one time I swore off reading more than one book written by an author because I felt like the books were repetitive. Then I read Nicholas Sparks and JK Rowling. I couldn't get my hands on any of their books fast enough. Unfortunately, since True Believer and At First Sight I have jumped off the Sparks bandwagon. They felt a little forced and fake to me. However, I am a Harry Potter fan through and through. I have read the books and have seen the movies multiple times. I get completely lost in the magical and exciting world of Potter.
As for my recent readings, well, I haven't read much as in the way of books. I see Oprah's picks and I have good intentions, but haven't gotten around to any of them yet. Here's the thing, I am a Reality Show junkie. Anything that is a "true story" gets me--even if some of the situations are preconceived. Hence, I combine my love for reality and reading in blogs. I love reading about other people's lives. I especially like reading about moms who are just like me, or people whose lives are very different from mine, but the same values resonate through their posts. My absolute favorite blogs are from people who aren't afraid to be real. We all have faults, we all have good days and bad, but I think it's most important to have a sense of humor about life. If you can't make fun of yourself, someone else will.

I read this post, where I, Breeder links to 100 Books Every Child Should Read. Normally, I would have marked it to "share" (on the right) but the title didn't do the subject justice. I just didn't think it would stand out enough to those who would be interested. My intention was to write a quick post to note the list, but between a just a few interruptions and my lengthy love of books, it has taken the whole morning. Oh well, it was worth the trip down memory lane. One comment on the list: Beowolf. My mortal (or rather, immortal) enemy. I had to read this in high school, and unlike The Scarlet Letter, I did not feel like I conquered it. I had an amazing teacher (Mr Holliday) and I still hated it. I would hate to deter anyone from reading anything, but this is among my most hated (list also includes: Walden, Thoreau; Paradise Lost, Milton (how cool is this, though) I know, I could get some serious backlash from Middle English, 17th Century, and classic literature lovers, but then again...I'm sure none of them are reading my blog.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post


0 comments: to “ For the Love of Books

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster